Lancaster County Pig Stomach

Now.....before you start crinkling your nose in the air.....I know it sounds kinda scary! LOL!! But TRUST me, it's not as bad as it sounds! Remember...Don't judge a book by it's cover...in this case don't judge the food by it's name ;)
I have been eating this since I was a little tyke!! My Grandma has been making this for YEARS!!! It's extremely simple, not many ingredients and it can be slow cooked all day long! The stomach is mainly just a vessel to hold all these juicy flavors together and cook them up like a bug snug in a rug!! You defiantly wouldn't have to eat the stomach itself, but of course you could if you want!! You could think of it as like a sausage casing! I don't really have a solid recipe with measurements and such, I just kinda wig it. You can pretty much average how much of everything you need by the size stomach you get.
 
Let's get Started!!
 
In a large bowl mix together,  1/2lb ground sausage, 1/2lb ground beef, diced potatoes and chopped cabbage! I added a little salt and pepper also! 
 
You should be able to find a pig stomach at any local grocery store in the meat department section! It might be something you would have to ask at the meat counter.
 
 Meat, potatoes and cabbage all mixed up
 
Now stuff the stomach! LOL!! Put it in a greased baking dish and a little bit of water.
 
I used little metal picks to hold both of the ends together while it was cooking. I put it in the oven @ 275' for about 4-6 hours and slow cooked it.
 
YUM!!! When it's nice and golden brown and oozing all kinds of yummy juices....it's all done and ready to scarf down!  
 
Then just slice it down and serve it up!!!
 

 
ENJOY!!!
 

Comments

Popular Posts