Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini

This recipe is super yummy and super easy! If you haven't noticed I always lean more towards easier recipes! ;) I work pretty long days over the winter months. So it's always nice to have a good hearty meal a couple nights a week, but it doesn't mean I'll be in the kitchen the entire night. So I still have some time to relax with my boys....before it's bed time!!

I really like tortellini's. The first time I had actually tired them was only about a year ago. {Which I tired a different recipe, which again is super easy and tasty....I'll share soon! ;) } I had never had them before.....I come from a family that my Dad was super picky and Mom never really ventured out on recipes. So when I met my husband {which he eats just about anything}, I started to try new things.

But anywho, back to this recipe! Hahaha! I got side tracked there ;) Both my husband and our 3 year old both really liked this recipe. An you know it's always hard to saticfie a 3 year old, unless its fries, chicken nuggets or mac & cheese!
 
It's very creamy! Let's get started!
 
First cook tortellini's according to package
 
Meanwhile, sauté your garlic....
 
Throw your diced tomato's, seasonings and chopped spinach in your pan until bubbly
 
Whisk your half & half and flour together
 
Pour in with your spinach/tomato mixture, add parmesan cheese and stir until thickened...
 
 
Add cooked tortellini's and stir together!!
 
Plate up and ENJOY!
 
 
Ingredients
  • 1 bag regular sized Barilla three cheese tortellini (8 oz) or 16 oz fresh tortellini in the refrigerated section of your grocery store
  • 2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon onion flakes
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions
  1. Begin by boiling your tortellini noodles until they are al dente (aka ready). Follow the directions on the bag for boiling time.
  2. While the tortellini is boiling, chop the spinach roughly.
  3. Heat a large skillet using medium heat and put the two teaspoons of minced garlic into it. Sautee it briefly until fragrant, about thirty seconds or so.
  4. Add into the skillet the petite diced tomatoes (undrained), spinach, salt, pepper, dried basil, and onion flakes.
  5. Cook and stir over medium high heat until the mixture begins to bubble.
  6. In another bowl, combine the flour and half-and-half. Whisk until fairly smooth.
  7. Add the creamy mixture into the the skillet along with the parmesan cheese.
  8. Heat through and reduce the heat to medium low and continue to stir and cook until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
  9. Add the drained tortellini and mix together gently.
  10. Serve and enjoy!
 
NOTES: This recipe called for Barilla Tortellini's, I used the 14.5oz bags in the freezer section. {I forget the brand name} But I used 2 bags and then bumped the half & half up to 2 cups and flour up to 2 1/2 tablespoons. I also used about 2 cups of chopped spinach.
 

Comments

Popular Posts